Shopify, formally known as Shopify Incorporated, is a multinational eCommerce business which is based in Ottawa, Ontario. This company was founded in the year of 2004 by 3 people — Tobias Lütke, Scott Lake and Daniel Weinand. However, they didn’t launch it until 2006.
In today’s world, Shopify is the number one company for great eCommerce solutions. Their tools have been employed by over 800,000 shops and offices across the entire planet — Lake, Lütke and Weinand made it to the top after their online snowboard business didn’t go so well.
Why use Shopify for you eCommerce store?
Shopify offers three different packages at three different prices so you can start basic and work your way up to advanced. They even offer a 14 day trial period without inputting your card details so you can try without any commitment.
The Basic Shopify Package
The Basic Shopify option is $29 per month. With this, you will get:
- Online store (this means you receive both a blog and an eCommerce website)
- Unlimited products
- 2 accounts for staff
- 24/7 support
- Sales channels (this means you can see on various digital marketplaces and social media platforms)
- Manual order creation
- Free SSL cert
- Discount codes
- Abandoned cart recovery feature
The Shopify Package
For $70 per month, you will receive everything you need to start to grow your business further. Included are all of the basic package options plus these features:
- 3 more accounts for your staff
- Gift cards
- Professional reports
The Advanced Shopify Package
Now, this is the big one. For $299 per month, you will be given everything we have already discussed, as well as:
- Advanced report builder
- Third-party calculated shipping rates (this means you can show post and packaging rates using your account or third-party apps if you choose)
So, why should you pick Shopify to be your eCommerce solution? Well, take a look at the pros and cons.
- Wonderfully easy to use — you don’t need any technical knowledge, it is very much a “few clicks” affair
- Brilliant design — all themes are responsive and you can even create custom ones
- Whether your business is big or small, Shopify is powerful enough for it all
- 24-hour support team
- Has a wide range of add-ons for your store
- Their URL structure isn’t great for SEO
- You will find it pretty difficult to create a multi-language shop
- If you don’t use Shopify Payments, they will take a transaction fee from every payment
- Designing the blog aspect of your package isn’t as easy as it should be